The year in meat

December 31st, 2009

While this blog didn’t thrive past the middle of the year, my meat eating did.  There’s the usual life got busy excuses, which is true. In May we got a new cat, Ryan Jingles Seekrest (the cat who twitters!) but the main thing that kept me distracted from writing about meating is that we’ll be bringing a new omnivore into the world next year, in the form of a human baby. Since July when I learned I was pregnant, I was given even more reasons to eat meat as a replacement for the many things I could no longer have: Booze, sushi, stinky cheese. Also, as a vegetarian I was prone to anemia, which can get worse in pregnancy, but since I have been meating, my midwife has declared I am “the least anemic pregnant woman ever.” Take that, tofu. And despite my early-in-the-year worries that meat would make me sick, I didn’t suffer a single bout of morning sickness.

While I was raised vegetarian, I don’t plan on raising our son the same, which makes me all the more glad I have done this year of meat thang.  While he may suffer through the same lack of McDonald’s Happy Meals as I did — sorry, kid — at least he won’t be forced to demand the “least pepperoni-y slice” of pizza at a birthday party and then proceed to pick off every speck of pepperoni before eating or bring his own weird veggie hot dogs to a cookout. Though who knows in the end what weird eating problems, pickiness, or allergies the future offspring may bring: One of my childhood friends would only eat hot dogs and yoo-hoo at parties. And there are those who won’t touch parsley.

In any case, I’ve accomplished much of what I set out to do at the beginning of the year. There are some notable exceptions: I didn’t ever get crazy with items like squirrel or kangaroo, and I have yet to try venison. But I did eat and cook many many new meats, and even introduced 3 other lifelong meat-eaters to a meat none of us had ever tried before: Goose. My goose was well cooked, if I do say so myself.

In the end, my favorite meats were all pig-related. Bacon is a wonder, but I also enjoyed pork in loin and cutlet and basically whatever form it came in. Hello, Char No. 4 Pork Nuggets, be my best friend?

Beef on the other hand, I tended to only like when made into something else, like a burger or a sausage or braised in some other mixed-in meal. I had some beef that was good, but I just can’t ever see myself craving a place that serves a good beef tenderloin, even though the tenderloin I had recently was good.

So what does 2010 hold? I expect more of the same. I don’t plan on going back to complete vegetarianism and while I won’t be eating meat on a mission as much, I plan on continuing to eat it when the meat meets me at my plate.

8 Comments

1. #
    JT
    January 1st, 2010 at 4:34 am

Yeah, I have the same thing, but instead of parsley… cilantro. Yeeick.

But really, you don’t think you’ll ever crave the perfectly cooked steak? Have you had a really great rare steak yet? I mean, as in all-caps REALLY GREAT?

2. #
    Toby
    January 4th, 2010 at 8:21 am

I’d say I’ve still never had a great steak, period. So far all the steak I’ve had (including the one I helped cook myself) has been sort of meh. And I don’t like how much chewing is involved in it. It takes so long to eat one bite, it skeeves me out.

3. #
    Unwilted
    January 7th, 2010 at 12:58 am

Looking at your old blog posts and history, it does not look like you ever were a vegetarian anyway. I really don’t understand how you claim, for example to have been raised vegetarian. Perhaps the reason you never got sick when you started eating meat is because you were eating meat all along.

Too bad for your child, though.

4. #
    ]:
    January 8th, 2010 at 9:10 pm

This blog just shows how wonderful Americans are.

5. #
    Mark Poling
    February 7th, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Toby, get thee to Peter Luger’s posthaste. It’s expensive, but if you want to understand steak in all its glory, well worth the price.

6. #
    sploosh
    September 29th, 2013 at 12:16 am

Wish I’d have found this blog sooner.
    I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian (dairy and eggs). Was raised that way.

Then at 22, my junior year of college, my wife (then girlfriend) and her friends slowly introduced me to meat, starting from grilled salmon and chicken to pork and beef. She was a fantastic cook, still is in fact.

Four years after graduating and I’m still going strong, I’m no longer anemic and I’m able to put on some actual muscle now.

I’m definitely going to raise my kids to enjoy meat; I’ve already started with my son. He won’t have to worry about bringing fake meat on a hiking trip or to Scout camp.
    He also won’t be consuming fast food all the time (eating meat shouldn’t mean eating junk).
    He sure is lucky that his parents know how to cook, well, his mother for the most part.

7. #
    Strong babies grow into Kings
    November 29th, 2014 at 1:43 am

I wish the mother of my child had eaten more meat. She refused to eat properly and thus, deal with her anemia and protein needs. Now there is no way to know whether or not that was the cause of her miscarriage, but it certainly didn’t help matters.

Eat what is right for the baby growing inside you expectant mothers. This is not a bluff in a game of poker, this is real life, and you need to play the hand straight up for the good of the child growing inside of you.

I miss my “could have been” baby :(

A “would have been” father
    Professional Rakeback

8. #
    Trevor
    May 14th, 2015 at 6:52 am

Damn, you enjoyed pork the most, which is actually the most unhealthy of the meats. Personally, I don’t think that a (ecologically grown) chicken based diet is bad at all. Good luck.